Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reactions to the Oscar Nominations 2012 (Bayley)

Well the Oscar nominations are upon us!

This is just a quick post. I wanted to just say which nominations surprised me the most this year. It really is a wonderful event when  the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announce the nominations for the Academy Awards and celebrate a great year in film-going.

Surprises: 1) No nomination for Shame. In a way, I should have seen it coming. It is a NC-17 rated film that probably was disconcerting or uncomfortable for the average Oscar-voter but I would have had Michael Fassbender on my ballot any day.

2) Extremely Loud and Incredible Close for Best Picture??????????

3) Demian Bechir for Best Actor for A Better Life. I have to say I'm surprised but I haven't seen the film so I will reserve all judgements on this decision. All I can say is congrats to him.

4) No Albert Brooks for Drive. I had read a few blogs post about how this might happen so it wasn't the biggest of shocks but that really is so disappointing. He was fantastic in that film.


All in all, I can say I'm excited about this years Oscars. Only the #2 "surprise" I posted actually really upset me because I felt that film was mediocre among the rest. I would like to hear your thoughts on the nominations so please do respond with any comments you have.

Also, look out for BAYLEY AND NAPOLI'S OSCAR WINNER PREDICTIONS, coming soon, as well as MICHAEL NAPOLI'S REACTIONS TO THE OSCAR NOMINATIONS.

Thank you very much for reading.

Sidenote: This was the first year in about three years that my Oscar Nomination Predictions beat Napoli's. I have taken the lead!



-Daniel Bayley

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with your surprises. The noms sort of disappointed me this year. Was hoping for a Fassbender nod, maybe Tilda for We Need to Talk About Kevin. Baffled by Jonah Hill, Nick Nolte, Extremely Loud (havent seen it, but from what I hear it's not good) and Midnight in Paris (sorry, I think i might be the only one who just did NOT like this film).

    I think I'm more excited for the Independent Spirit Awards this year.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Totally understandable! I was so pleased to see Rooney Mara take that "supposed 5th spot". I haven't seen Tilda Swinton yet but she is not one of my favorite actresses. Midnight in Paris was great though I'm sad you didn't like it! Great screenplay right there. Glad Woody Allen got some love this year. And I was fine with Nick Nolte (thought he was fantastic), surprised by Hill (really only nominated because he pulls weight opposite Pitt) and Extremely Loud is just a shock. There's something wrong there......I saw the film....something's wrong.

    ReplyDelete